20 Tips on How to Travel for Cheap
The most common reason why people don’t get out and travel more is because everyone’s broke!!! Story of our freaking lives… Well here are a few tips on how to save those bucks and still see the world!
1. Research your destination
- Find best times to travel by researching your destination! Going from the US to Colombia in the winter is far more expensive than visiting in the summer! I’m talking like almost $300-$400 in flight savings!
- Be flexible on days of the week and research flights from nearby large cities! The savings can be almost HALF PRICE!
- Skyscanner is a flight, hotel, and car rental world-wide search engine that finds you the absolute best deals on your travel! They will use a wider variety of airlines than some of the travel search engines that you’re used to.
- Sometimes we forget that there is beauty right here in our home country! Gas is WAY cheaper than taking a flight and you can just as easily get to beach or mountain by car.
- Build a budget and itinerary FOR LESS THAN WHAT YOU HAVE SAVED! This allows you some wiggle room in the event that something doesn’t go as planned! Keeping an itinerary will also keep you on track for your spending and your budget. Travel around your budget; don’t BUDGET around your TRAVEL! If you planned to use $20 for dinner DON’T SPLURGE!
5. Eat Local
- There is no need to eat at all of the touristy places, and if you’re anything like us, we enjoy the authentic food from the country we are visiting. A countries culture usually speaks through their food first! So eat like the locals do!
- AirBnB is awesome! You can rent an entire home for less than you can get a hotel! If you haven’t signed up use our code and receive $40 off your first booking! You can rent as large as an entire home to as small as a room in someone’s house! It’s completely convenient and safe!
- You can also try staying in hostels which are shared accommodations. It may be a room with a bunk-bed and you don’t even know the person on the top bunk! But this is for travellers….and you can meet some really cool people along the way
- If you’re really feeling like a nomad the couchsurf! People offer their couches to travellers going from one place to the next! This is usually only for a night or two but it’s a free night’s stay!
7. Other Shared Services
- Vayable – This is a way to find tours and activities in a city for cheap!!! Instead of a company putting together your tour, you will be helping the economy by “hiring” a local to show you their city!
- BlaBlaCar—If traveling in Europe download this app to share a ride! It’s a carpooling service and will cut down on your costs!
- EatWith—Communal Dinning where you get to eat with people from all over the world! It’s a great creative experience and allows you to eat cheaper!
- If travelling international, convert your money and pay in cash! This avoids any foreign transaction fees that your bank may charge you from swiping abroad.
- Please note that not all areas are safe to have large amounts of cash so take only what you need and keep the rest concealed.
9. Know Your Currency
- People are not opposed to swindling you out of your money! Don’t be the “stupid tourist”. Download a currency converter app and make sure you are giving the correct amount! Research what their currency looks like! Some places use two different types of currencies and one will be weighed less than the other. Don’t fall for the bait and switch!
10. Take Friends
- The more obvious way to cut on costs is to share it! Bring friends along to split prices between taxi fares, hotel accommodations, meals and activities.